Position: Programme Intern: Securing Civic Rights
Contract period/Starting date: As soon as possible
How to apply: Your application should consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation and what you would aim to learn during your internship (in English). It should include your earliest possible starting date, suggested working hours per month, and desired internship length. Please send your application in one PDF-document below, stating your name and the job reference “Internship SCR” in the document title. Application via email will not be accepted.
Application deadline: 1 January 2019
The International Civil Society Centre helps international civil society organisations (ICSOs) maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world.
The Centre works with ICSOs to successfully navigate change. We scan the horizon for opportunities and threats; enable learning and cooperation among ICSOs and their stakeholders; support ICSOs in developing effective leadership; and promote robust accountability to strengthen ICSOs’ legitimacy. The Centre is a not-for-profit organisation fully owned by the organisations it serves. We strive to set high standards in management, governance and strategy for ICSOs and the wider sector.
The Securing Civic Rights programme
In the Securing Civic Rights programme, we foster collaboration between civil society organisations (CSOs), civic activists, media, business, governments and foundations to push back against the clamp down on democracy and citizen rights worldwide. The programme consists of two parts. One is Civic Charter project, which entails the support of a growing community of CSOs and civil society activists. The community shares knowledge and skills, and promotes solidarity between activists and organisations.
The other part is the International Civic Forum, an annual platform for experts from CSOs, foundations, government, media, business on the topic of civic freedoms, civic participation and democracy. At the Forum, these experts build trust, discuss relevant initiatives and prepare joint action.
The Centre is currently looking for an intern to support our Securing Civic Rights programme.
- Event management: Support the preparation of the Civic Charter Community Workshop in Thailand in March 2019, including liaising with participants and speakers, travel booking and logistical arrangements
- Community management: Follow up with new Civic Charter organisational signatories and involve them in community activities
- Communication: Assist in the development and implementation of webinars and supporting the upcoming Civic Charter social media campaign
- Project management: Support the Project Manager in project development, coordination and financial administration
- Further: Any other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager
The intern will mainly work with the Project Manager of Securing Civic Rights but will be part of the Programme Team and have opportunities to get to know other areas of the Centre’s work.
What we are looking for
- Enrolment in an ongoing study programme (“Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”) in a relevant field, such as Political Science/International Relations or Political Communication and looking for a compulsory internship (“Pflichtpraktikum”)
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Diligent, reliable and focused way of working with strong attention to detail
- Thorough understanding and ability to work with social media channels such as facebook and twitter
- Ability to familiarise quickly with new issues and concepts
- Strong teamwork skills
- Good MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Experience in the civil society sector, especially on human rights, is an asset
- Fluency in German, both written and spoken would be an asset
- Basic knowledge of WordPress would be an asset
- A 3-6 months internship
- Work experience and a thorough insight into a project with many stakeholders aiming to serve civic rights activists and organisations
- Insights into the civil society sector, in particular the Human Rights subsector, and the work of the world’s largest ICSOs,
- The opportunity to be part of an international, dynamic and ambitious organisation with enthusiastic colleagues supporting the world’s largest ICSOs
Working hours: 20-40 hrs per week, negotiable
Holidays: depending on working days, based on 26 holidays p.a.
Compensation: €350 per month, before tax for a full-time internship
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: As soon as possible
Application for the position
Your application should:
- consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation and what you would aim to learn during your internship (in English);
- include the earliest possible starting date, suggested work hours/month and desired length of the internship;
- be submitted through our online application form (below) by 1 January 2019. Please submit your application in one PDF document, stating your name and the job reference “Internship SCR” in the document title.
Interviews will most likely take place from 9-11 January 2019 by Skype or in our office in Berlin. Please note that we can only contact shortlisted candidates.
We look forward to receiving your application!