Position: Intern – Global Perspectives
Contract Period/Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to Apply: Your application should consist of a CV and cover letter expressing what you would like to learn in this internship (English); please include your possible starting date and desired duration of the internship. It should be submitted through our online application form, which can be found below
Application Deadline: 30 June; early submissions encouraged
The International Civil Society Centre helps international civil society organisations (ICSOs) maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world.
The Centre works with ICSOs to successfully navigate change. We scan the horizon for opportunities and threats; enable learning and cooperation among ICSOs and their stakeholders; support ICSOs in developing effective leadership; and promote robust accountability to strengthen ICSOs’ legitimacy. The Centre is a not-for-profit organisation fully owned by the organisations it serves. We strive to set high standards in management, governance and strategy for ICSOs and the wider sector.
The Centre is offering an internship for 6 months in the Programme Team to support the preparation and follow-up of Global Perspectives conference. Global Perspectives is our annual conference for leaders of national and international civil society organisations (CSOs) to exchange ideas and experiences, make connections, and address the world’s most pressing challenges in a unique, interactive format. This internship is a unique opportunity to gain insights both into event management as well as the international civil society sector and its key current concerns.
Your Tasks and Learnings
As an intern working to support the preparation of Global Perspectives Conference, you will pick up a wide variety of tasks essential to delivery of a successful event. Key responsibilities will include:
- Research and mapping of organisations: Based on defined criteria, conduct research of initiatives, organisations and approaches relevant for the conference
- Event management: Logistical arrangements (venue, hotels); travel booking (flights, visa processes); researching and purchasing material
- Speaker and participation management: Schedule calls with relevant contributors, support participants by answering questions and proactively provide information
- Communication: Develop texts and other communication material, both for social media and offline media engagements, research relevant press contacts
- Financial administration: support with budget updates, participant invoices and other financial administration
As an intern, you will mainly work with the Programme Team, but you will also have opportunities to be assigned to other areas of the Centre’s work.
In this intern position, you will primarily collaborate with several colleagues in the Programme Team that are involved in the preparation of the conference, you will also have the opportunity to work with the Fundraising and Communications Team on issues linked to Global Perspectives. In addition, you will have opportunities to familiarise yourself with other areas of the Centre’s work. Your line-manager will be the Project Manager responsible for the conference.
- Interest in the civil society sector!
- Studies in a relevant field, either in the area of Event Management or Political Science/International Relations
- Very good MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Diligent, reliable and focused way of working with a strong attention to detail
- Strong teamwork and self-starter skills
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken; German skills are an asset
- Proactively research and prepare for a visa or residency permit application in Germany, if needed
- Enrolment in an ongoing study programme (“Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”)
- Ideally, your programme requires a compulsory internship (“Pflichtpraktikum”)
- A 6 month internship
- Work experience and a thorough insight into the management and programme development of an international non-profit organisation
- Insights into the civil society sector and the work of the world’s largest ICSOs
- The opportunity to be part of an international, dynamic and ambitious organisation with enthusiastic colleagues
Working hours: 40 hrs per week, negotiable
Holidays: depending on working days, based on 26 holidays p.a.
Compensation: € 350 per month for a full-time internship
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: as soon as possible
Your application should:
- consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation
- please indicate in your application if this internship is part of your to your study programme and what you would aim to learn during your internship (in English);
- include the earliest possible starting date and desired duration of the internship;
- be submitted through our online application form (below), ideally by June 30th. Please submit your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference “Internship” in the document title.
We have interviews on a rolling basis, so don’t hesitate to apply! Please also note that we can unfortunately only contact short-listed candidates.