Position: Events Manager
Starting date: As soon as possible
How to apply: Please upload your application below, as a single PDF document with your name and job reference “Events Manager” in the document title, on or before 10 December 2018. Your application should consist of a CV and cover letter that explains why you are motivated to take up this position and how you would shape it. Please include your earliest possible starting date and two references we could contact during the application process.
Application deadline: 10 December 2018
The International Civil Society Centre helps the world’s leading international civil society organisations (ICSOs) maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world.
The International Civil Society Centre (the Centre) works with ICSOs to develop strategies for successfully navigating change. We scan the horizon for exciting opportunities; enable learning and cooperation among ICSOs and their stakeholders; support ICSOs with developing effective leadership and promote robust accountability to strengthen ICSOs’ legitimacy. The Centre is a not-for-profit organisation fully owned by the organisations it serves. We strive to set high standards in management, governance and strategy for ICSOs and the wider sector.
The Centre is currently looking for an Events Manager to join the Programme Team!
In October 2018, our Board signed off on a new and ambitious strategy for the Centre. One of the aims for the next years is to strengthen our role as a convening platform for the ICSOs by raising quality and value for our partners. This means linking our conferences and workshops more closely to our strategic projects, offering a solid mix of exclusive gatherings and multi-stakeholder events as well as being flexible and opportunistic about the topics we explore. In order to implement our ambitious programme, we are looking for a dedicated colleague to develop the content of our core events. Part of this is to translate results from our projects into our existing event formats and to develop concepts and expected outcomes for our events. Together with the Events Officer, we are also expecting the new colleague to contribute to us providing overall inspiring event experiences for our partners.
This position offers the opportunity to actively shape the Centre’s events and work closely with leaders from the civil society sector and beyond as well as with a young and growing Centre team.
The Events Manager will manage several events per year, which includes the following task areas:
- Lead the development of concepts for the Centre’s core programme for leaders from ICSOs, including meetings for global CEOs and Chairs and our largest annual conference Global Perspectives
- Manage preparation and steering committees for the Centre’s events
- Develop concepts, agendas and outlines for meetings, workshops and conferences, including the research and liaison with speakers and presenters
- Research and follow relevant discussions and trends for the civil society sector, e.g. digitalisation, inequality, governance, organisational change and citizen participation
- Liaise with leaders from ICSOs to understand the needs and interests of the sector
- Develop inspiring communication around the Centre’s events/projects, in close cooperation with our Communications Officer
- Develop promising fundraising concepts, in close collaboration with our Development Manager
- Oversee project budgets and plans
- Work closely with the Events Officer to successfully implement events
- Other tasks as assigned by the Programme Director
The Events Manager reports to the Programme Director but will constantly work with other team members to ensure quality outcome and efficient processes.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated team member with the following profile:
- Relevant work experience in the civil society sector, ideally within an ICSO
- University degree in a relevant field
- Knowledge or experience with key issues such as management/governance of ICSOs, use of new technology in civil society, CSO accountability, is a strong asset
- Excellent management and coordination skills, ability to work under pressure, manage a high workload and meet tight deadlines
- Diligent, reliable and focused way of operating
- Independent and pro-active attitude, strong sense of ownership for assigned areas of responsibility, value driven
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on own initiative
- Excellent communication skills: fluent in English
- Excellent MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A valid work permit for the EU
- An insight into challenges and opportunities of the civil society sector
- The opportunity to apply and further develop event management skills in the civil society sector
- The possibility to be part of a young, dynamic and ambitious organisation supporting the world’s largest ICSOs
- A team-oriented and international work environment
- The chance to work with highly motivated, enthusiastic colleagues
Working hours: 40 hours per week
Holidays: 26 days p.a.
Salary: 3,000 – 3,500 EUR per month before tax, depending on experience
Term: a two-year contract with a three-months’ probation period and the possibility for extension
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: as soon as possible
Application for the position
Your application should:
- include a CV (English),
- short cover letter (English) laying out why you are motivated to take up this position and how you would shape it,
- include your earliest possible starting date and two references we could contact during the application process,
- be submitted through our online application form (below) by 10 December 2018 at the latest. Please submit your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference “Events Manager” in the document title.
- Interviews with short-listed candidates will take place on a rolling basis. Please note that we can only contact short-listed candidates.
We look forward to receiving your application!