Position: Programme Officer, ACCOUNTABLE NOW - AccNow20173
Contract period/Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply: Your application should consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation, describing how your skills and experience fit the role (in English). It should be submitted through our online application form by midnight on 31st October 2017.
Please send your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference AccNow201703 in the document title. Application via email will not be accepted.
Application deadline: 31st October 2017
Accountable Now is a global platform that supports civil society organisations (CSOs) to be transparent, responsive to stakeholders and focused on delivering impact. Our 27 member organisations such as Amnesty International, BRAC, CARE, Greenpeace, Oxfam and Transparency International operate in more than 150 countries. Together we develop and implement cutting edge cross-sector practices to strengthen CSOs’ relationships with communities, partners, activists, staff or donors to deliver better impact. To this end, we devise new concepts, run webinars, workshops and peer advice groups. We assess annual reports by all our Members with the internationally-recognised experts of our Independent Review Panel. As our membership and global collaborations increase we build a vibrant community of practice and a strong voice for civil society in the world.
The Secretariat of Accountable Now has been hosted at the International Civil Society Centre in Berlin (Germany) since 2010. The Centre works with international CSOs to help them maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world.
Accountable Now is currently seeking a keen, imaginative and analytical Programme Officer to join this dynamic and ambitious organisation and its enthusiastic small team, supporting the world’s largest civil society organisations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the role will give a thorough insight into the management and governance of the world’s leading CSOs as well as a sound understanding of the challenges they face and ways to improve their accountability and impact.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Further develop the Dynamic Accountability concept around responsiveness to stakeholders including communities; identify good practice examples and disseminate learning between members and the wider sector
- Act as the accountability advisor to a number of pilots as part of the Beyond Accounts-ability project, led by CIVICUS, and document lessons learned
- Provide technical knowledge on accountability for Phase Two (2017-2020) of the Global Standard for CSO Accountability, which is likely to be hosted by Accountable Now
- Pre-screen the annual accountability reports of members and identify areas for improvement
- Organise the annual members’ workshop; collaborate in the design and facilitate webinars including identifying topics and speakers on accountability-related issues; and convene peer advice groups
- Other related tasks as assigned by the Executive Director
- University degree in a relevant field. Masters in a relevant topic is an asset
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience, including substantive working experience on governance, accountability or social accountability issues
- Knowledge of and experience in the international development field. Work experience in the Global South is an asset
- Excellent self-management and coordination skills, ability to work under pressure with focus, to meet tight deadlines, and work creatively within a small budget
- Independent and pro-active attitude, strong sense of ownership for assigned areas of responsibility
- Strong teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English; excellent writing and editing skills
Working hours: 40 hours/week (100% FTE), 32 hours/week (80% FTE) is negotiable
Holidays: 26 days p.a.
Salary: 2.500 to 3.000 EUR per month before tax as a starting salary, depending on experience
Contract period: 24 months (incl. 6 months' probation) with the possibility for extension
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: As soon as possible
Your application should:
- consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation, describing how your skills and experience fit the role (in English);
- indicate where you heard about this vacancy;
- enclose the names and contact details of two referees from previous employment;
- only be submitted through our online application form by midnight on 31st October 2017. Please send your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference AccNow201703 in the document title.
- Applications via email will not be accepted.
Interviews (including a written exercise) will take place on 09 November 2017 in Berlin.
Candidates selected for interview will be informed on 3rd or 6th November. Please note that we can only contact short-listed candidates.
We look forward to receiving your application!