- Scanning the Horizon methods workshop: ParEvo - Developing participatory alternative future scenarios and past histories
29th April 2021
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Event Times in Central European Summer Time (CEST)
ParEvo is an open source method and online web application for developing alternative past histories or future scenarios, using a participatory evolutionary process, designed by Rick Davies.
The process is designed to be used by multiple people, to produce a collective good – a set of storylines. When used to look forward ParEvo can be seen as a form of participatory scenario planning or futures search. When used to look back it can be seen as a form of participatory public history.
There was interest in this method from Scanning members during our COVID-19 complexity collaborative work in 2020, so this session will provide more in-depth session on the methodology, how different organisations are using it, and how we might experiment with it in future.
This two-hour session will involve:
• introductory presentation and Q&A with Rick on the methodology and how it can be used (30 minutes),
• short presentation and Q&A of the Overseas Development Institute (ODI)’s use of the tool for participatory COVID-19 scenario planning (25 minutes), with Louise Shaxson, Director, Digital Societies Programme.
• short presentation and Q&A of IODParc’s use of the tool as part of the independent evaluation of UN Volunteers’ 2018-21 Strategic Framework (25 minutes), with evaluator Eva Otero, to engage 16 volunteers in generating collaborative storylines on “what it means to be a UN Volunteer” to inform the process.
• group discussion of opportunities for Scanning community members to use this method, and also other potential uses (25 minutes). This will include short input from Dr Naama Raz-Yaseef, Agri-business, Environment and Climate Advisor at Global Insight on their use of ParEvo at project level with farmers to support face-to-face engagement.
To get the most out of the joint session, participants will be asked to pre-familiarise themselves with the basics of the methodology with a short 15 minute video which will be shared ahead of the event.
For other background, please see:
• Introduction: https://mscinnovations.wordpress.com,
• Listen to the podcast on ‘Evaluating the Future’: https://soundcloud.com/evalcrisis/rick-davies-evaluating-the-future,
• Watch the introductory video (12 minutes) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA46lK-dBJI.
• ParEvo web app: https://parevo.org/