- Anklamer Straße 38, Berlin, 10115, Germany
- Power Shift Lab 2.0 - Leading the Power Shift
10th March 2020 - 12th March 2020
11:00 am - 12:30 pm
In light of long-standing frustrations by international civil society organisation’s (ICSO) executives and board members with their current governance structures (e.g., cumbersome decision-making, under-representation of key constituencies and uneven strategy execution), the International Civil Society Centre sponsored a lab in September 2018 to explore the root causes of these challenges with leaders from eight ICSOs. Analysing the intersection of their power dynamics, organisational intent and governance models, each of these leaders identified changes their organisations should (or must) implement in order to function more effectively and delivered on their promised impacts.
This year, the Centre will organise a follow-on lab (Power Shift Lab 2.0) that focuses less on what needs to change for an organisation and more on how to successfully execute the most urgent power shifts and governance reforms that an organisation’s intent requires.
To strengthen ICSOs’ impact by moving towards a more effective and legitimate distribution of powers, roles and responsibilities in their governance, specifically by strengthening the voices of the communities they serve.
In order to achieve this objective, the Centre has in conjunction with Conner Advisory created a project with two key components: a Golden Triangle Analysis and a subsequent Power Shift Lab that will go further in depth on key findings from the analysis.
Golden Triangle Analysis
Participants will conduct an up-to-date analysis of the interrelationships between power, governance and organisational intent in their own contexts. The Centre will correspond with all participating organisations in advance of the meeting to provide a framework for this analysis and aggregate participants’ inputs. We will refer back to plans developed during the first Lab in 2018, and work with new participants on their experiences addressing power dimensions.
Power Shift Lab 2.0 – Leading the Power Shift
Building on the Golden Triangle Analysis, the lab will:
- identify the current status of the ‘golden triangle’ in the different organisations, particularly why those stand in the way of reaching their intent;
- develop a picture of more effective/legitimate power and governance structures;
- help strategise revolutionary vs. evolutionary approaches;
- explore how to address the most crucial dimensions of power shift, such as overcoming barriers, improving accountability and engaging with the right people and allies;
- allow for deep dives into dimensions that are most relevant for the respective organisations (such as the organisational intent, how power dynamics have shifted, how governance consists of more than just structures);
- develop or strengthen strategies to drive the power shift.
Attendees at the Lab will be (Deputy) CEOs, Senior Leaders in charge of governance and Board Members. Each participating organisation will bring at least one senior leader from the organisation and at least one peer from a partner, implementing organisation or chapter from the Global South.
The participation fee will be €2,500 for each organisation. The fee will cover two participants. Additional participants will be charged €1,000. Travel and accommodation are not included in the participation fee.